Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Additions

My wife gave me an early birthday present and let me go wild at Check Out My Cards and I left that website 43 cards richer.  I've also had a nice streak of wins at eBay.  I spent all of last night scanning the cards and adding thumbnail pictures to my card collecting spreadsheet.  I have over 100 cards, but recently found out that there have been 600+ Hochevar cards produced, so I am still a little far from completing my set.  In any event, here are some of my favorites cards that I've recently received.

This first card is a 2007 Just Minors Triple Signature Black.  The three signatures are of Alex Gordon, Luke Hochevar, and Billy Butler, and it is serial numbered 2/3.  I usually prefer to get a card from an auction, but I made an exception for this card because I liked it so much.  I bought it via eBay "Buy It Now" and probably gave too much for it, yet I am super happy to have it in my collection.  It is nicely designed card and the autographs are very crisp.


The next card is a 2008 Topps Finest Gold X-Fractor rookie card.  It is serial numbered 13/25.  I like this card a lot.  I made the seller an offer that I felt was more fair than the price he was asking and thankfully he accepted.  As far as I know, this is the toughest find in this series, so I'm glad I found it when I did.

This card is a 2010 Topps Series 2 Platinum card and is serial numbered 1/1.  When we were in Colorado earlier this month, I was attempting to win this card via eBay auction but someone kept outbidding me.  As I got to my bid ceiling, my mom and wife could see how frustrated I was that I was losing this card.  After I'd left the house to go golfing, they conspired to win the card for me.  So mom made a monster bid and won the card for me.  She's the best.

The final card that I'll show off today is a 2010 Topps Series 2 Silk card.  It is serial numbered 34/50.  If you look closely at the picture below, you can see that the card is a mini card and is printed on a piece of silk.  The mini silk card is housed in a clear window inside of a red and black frame. 

So, as you can see, I've made some nice additions to my collection.  I'm fairly close to completing a couple of "card rainbows" which is when I have all the differently colored cards of a set.  Once I complete my first rainbow, I'll post a picture.

______________________________________________________

SONG:  "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart  ---  I spent this past weekend in Denver for my cousin's wedding.  On Saturday night I went to dinner with three of my cousin's and two of their significant others.  We met up at a Mexican restaurant.  The dinner was great, but it paled in comparison to the conversations that pitcher after pitcher of beer encouraged.  Stories were told.  Jokes were told.  Lies were told.  It was great.  At one point, near dusk, two of the participants decided to continue wearing their sunglasses even though the street lights and patio lights were on for the night.  Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment