Sunday, April 25, 2010

Draft Talk

I'm not much of a football fan.  Don't get me wrong, I love to watch games and I root for the Broncos when they are on broadcast television, but I couldn't tell you who their left tackle is, nor could I tell you who is their offensive and/or defensive coordinator.  I don't follow the team (or any sports team for that matter) very closely.

So, when I heard through Facebook and Twitter (no way I watch the draft, since it's both on cable television, which I don't have, and really boring) that the Denver Broncos selected Tim Tebow, the "controversial" quarterback from Florida, with one of their first round draft picks, I didn't really care one way or another.

Some people were disappointed in this selection because apparently the Broncos already have two young quarterbacks (I only knew of the one quarterback, Kyle Orton, because he was there last year, but I have come to find out that somehow or other a fellow by the name of Brady Quinn is also a Bronco QB).  Since the Broncos are not desperate for a young quarterback, some people felt that the pick could have been used more wisely.

Other people like the decision to take Tebow.  Some like his character and leadership characteristics.  Some like that he is one of the most athletically gifted guys to come out of this years draft.  Other people feel that this selection will create great competition at the quarterback position, which they hope will lead to the emergence of "The Next Elway".

But me, I really didn't care one way or another.  At least I didn't care until I read this story in the Boston Herald:
A Boston sports-radio host yesterday likened former Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow’s NFL draft party to a “Nazi rally,” a remark one media observer called an “amazing double standard.”
Fred “Toucher” Toettcher said yesterday on 98.5 The Sports Hub, “It looked like some kind of Nazi rally. . . . So lily-white is what I’m trying to say. Yeah, Stepford Wives.”
And I am now a Tim Tebow fan.  Did the sports jock misspeak?  I'm sure he did.  But anyone who can get some pissed-off liberal (I assume) sports-talk Mass-hole flustered just for being alive is a friend of mine.  I may be compelled to get a Tebow Broncos jersey just for the divisive properties such a jersey would hold.

And it is especially fitting that the person who wore the #15 Broncos jersey last year, Brandon Marshall, was an amazing athlete but possessed and/or displayed little to no leadership abilities throughout the season, despite his being one of the most important offensive position players on the team.  So the Broncos traded Marshall and will be replacing his #15 with another #15 who is, in the minds of many, will be a greater leader/character than he will be an NFL quarterback, Mr. Timothy Tebow.

1 comment:

  1. I can hardly wait for football season. It is such a great time of year.

    ReplyDelete