Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Things that have pissed me off today.

I'm usually a fairly positive guy, but there were many things that pissed me off today.

1)  Video of a SWAT raid in Missouri. As REASON's Radley Balko points out,
SWAT team breaks into home, fires seven rounds at family's pit bull and corgi (?!) as a seven-year-old looks on.
They found a "small amount" of marijuana, enough for a misdemeanor charge. The parents were then charged with child endangerment.
So smoking pot = "child endangerment." Storming a home with guns, then firing bullets into the family pets as a child looks on = necessary police procedures to ensure everyone's safety.  Just so we're clear.
2)  The reason I found out about this story is because I was able to read most of today's tweets on Twitter.  The reason I was able to read most Twitter tweets today is because today was the first day of my new job search.  I had to make up a resume and have sent out about two dozen applications.  That pisses me off.

3)  As I was listening to sports talk-radio, one of the hosts announced their poll question of the day:  "Should Cinco de Mayo be a national holiday?"  Are you freaking kidding me?  Seriously?  There are people want to make a national holiday out of a date that gets limited (at most) celebration in Mexico?!?!  I imagine that these same people who would make it a U.S. national holiday are the same ones who mistakenly believe that May 5th is the Mexican Independence Day.  Those idiots piss me off.

4)  While I'm in that same ballpark, another thing that pissed me off today was that ‘Los Suns’ Join Protest of Arizona’s New Law.  From the NYT,
The Phoenix Suns delivered a powerful statement Wednesday night with a relatively subtle gesture: a three-letter addition to their uniforms.
Their jerseys said “Los Suns” — a Spanish-English combination intended to acknowledge the Cinco de Mayo holiday and, more broadly, to express opposition to Arizona’s new law dealing with illegal immigrants
You have got to be kidding me.  I'm sure that the people who see this act of solidarity by the Suns would be completely horrified if the owners of the Washington Wizards had pulled out their old "Washington Bullets" jerseys to show solidarity after D.C.'s handgun ban was struck down in the Heler case.  Bringing politics into sports pisses me off.  Can't I have one escape from politics?

5)  My iPod pissed me off when it re-synced my entire library just as I was trying to get out the door to walk the dog with The Wife.  I about threw it across the room, I was so pissed.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Only 4 people showed up for Tuesday night Volleyball, so we had to borrow players from other teams.  Freaking weak.
  • Our culture is so intrigued by "sex scandals" that even B-level celebrities like David Boreanaz get press for cheating on their wives. 
  • My best Facebook update/tweet of the week got very little reaction, which pissed me off because I thought I was such a genius for thinking of it: 


    I'm waiting for Alan Jackson to come out and say what everyone is thinking about the flooding in Nashville:  President Obama hates country music.


Hopefully the rest of this week is better.  I feel that after identifying the items that are causing me to be in a pissy mood, I can get on with the rest of my life.

______________________________________________________

SONG:  "Sante Fe" by Drive-By Truckers --- I just got this album by DBT and I love it.  This band is what would have happened had Tom Petty been the lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd.  Great stuff.

MOVIEYoung @ Heart --- this is probably the most powerful documentary I have ever watched.  Touching, inspiring, and entertaining.  Whether you rent, buy, or steal it, you must watch this movie.

Here is the trailer to give you a taste of the Young @ Heart group:


TELEVISION:  FRINGE: Season 1 -- The Wife and I have started watching this show on Netflix and it is very interesting and entertaining.  I knew I would want to watch this show one episode right after the other.  I knew I'd never be able to stick with it watching with a week between each episode, but back to back viewings are quite entertaining.  This show is a Sci-Fi version of Bones and/or House, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment