Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Marathoning

This week "My Wife Asks..."

Would you ever consider training for and running a marathon?

The short answer to this question is a definitive NO!

But, since I can't stand to have three sentence blog posts, I'll elaborate.  I don't like physically exerting myself.  I find it tiresome and tedious.  There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as walking while I golf (if it'll mean saving enough money to fund an extra round of golf), walking the dog with my wife (which I actually enjoy, even if I give my wife a hard time about it when she tells me it is time to go on our nightly walk), mowing the lawn, etc., but for the most part, I will do almost anything to avoid raising my heart rate.

So, while I enjoy many sports (golf, skiing, basketball, baseball, etc.), I don't enjoy running.  I can think of no worse way to spend my time then running.  To me, running is torturous.  It is tedious.  It is tiresome. And one of the best parts about being an adult is that I don't have to do something that I don't enjoy.  I don't see any upside to running.  There is no incentive for me to run.  There are a bazillion other activities that I'd rather spend my time doing.  So, I don't run.  And I don't see my position changing any time soon.

For me, running a marathon is like playing tennis or playing a guitar.  Could I do it?  Sure.  Will I ever take the time to do it?  Probably not.  I'll stick to the activities I do well, activities I enjoy, and activities that are not very tiresome.
________________________________________________________________________

SONG:  "Rock & Roll" by Eric Hutchinson



NETFLIX:  We've been on a nice streak of watching quality television shows lately.  Usually we'll get a new show from Netflix, watch the first disk and dislike it so much we don't get any subsequent shows.  So, when we find a handful of great shows to watch, it's a very good thing.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the following:

"Deadwood" -- I can't say enough good things about this show.  It may be my new all-time favorite drama (knocking "Six Feet Under" and "Dexter" down a notch).  The acting is spectacular, the story-lines are well paced, and the writing is dry and witty.  I'm currently working on Season 3 and the show keeps getting better and better.  Not an easy feat.

"Band of Brothers"  -- This show is growing on me.  I thought the first episode was a bit boring, but the following two episodes were spectacular.  Extremely gripping plots and great acting make this show a must see.  I'm excited to see what the rest of the series brings.

The wife and I have enjoyed watching the following together:

"Castle: Season 1" -- while the gist of the show (a civilian assists a cop in solving crimes) is similar to another of our favorite shows, "White Collar", this one is unique enough to keep us interested.  This show has enough plot twists to keep the viewer guessing about who done it.  And the chemistry between the two lead characters is a nice touch.

"Dexter: Season 4" -- we both have loved this show since my bro-in-law introduced us to it in the shows first season.  While seasons 2 and 3 had their weak points, we were happy with the addition of John Lithgow's character.

"The Closer: Season 1" -- another cop show that is fairly entertaining.  It has some nice plot twists in each episode.  It'll be interesting to see if it gets too predictable or if it can stay fresh as the season progresses.

We recently finished the following shows:

"True Blood: Season 2" -- great, fun show.  We cranked through this season in a couple of days.

"Project Runway: Season 7"  -- probably not the strongest group of contestants, but we kept watching because my pick to win the show stayed in (and eventually won) the competition.

Looking forward to the release of "Fringe: Season 2" and "The Ultimate Fighter: Season 11".  I'm also excited about rewatching "Modern Family" and "Community" on dvd.  Both are really well done comedies.

2 comments:

  1. Did I tell you my nephews acted in Dexter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! Now that I know you like walking with me at night, I am not going to take no for an answer. Get ready to strap on your tennis shoes tonight!

    ReplyDelete