Monday, August 23, 2010

"Stop criticizing President Obama for playing golf."

So says David Kopel over at the Volokh Conspiracy.  David points out that another President, Dwight D. Eisenhower, spent a lot of time out on the course during his presidency.  It has been estimated that President Eisenhower golfed upwards of two times a week.  He concludes that,
 "President Eisenhower demonstrated beyond any doubt that there is no inherent contradiction between being a good President and being an avid golfer. Indeed, golf helps clear the mind, and hardly any sport is better at fostering humility in participants.  So unless President Obama’s critics are willing to state that President Eisenhower golfed too much, they should stop carping about President Obama’s golfing."
I completely agree with David's analysis.  I have absolutely zero problem with any President decompressing on the course once or twice a week.  I may never agree with President Obama's ideology or politics, but I will never begrudge him playing a round of golf, or shooting hoops with his staff, or even lighting up a cigarette.  Life (and the presidency) is hard.  Might as well find a few avenues to work off some stem or decompress.  And that goes for the low hanging fruit of political pundits in mocking a Presidential vacation, whether it's a trip to a Texas ranch or a week in Martha's Vineyard.

So the guy likes to golf.  Big whoop.  I can think of worse ways for a sitting President to spend his time (chasing intern tail springs to mind). 

Which brings me to my weekly question from my wife.

This week, My Wife Asks...what would you do if you had no money constraints?

This hypothetical exercise reminds me of how my junior college golf teammates and I would pass the time on our long bus trips.  We spent one 6+ hour bus trip dreaming up scenarios of how we would spend vast amounts of money (fortresses, fantastic vehicles, dream houses, etc.).  I was really fun hearing different people's ideas of pure fun.  It was also great to add features to another person's fantasy, as well as debating the merits of some ideas (example:  what is the best way to fortify your dream home from intruders?).

So, what would I do if money with no concern for the cost?  I would buy a great luxury RV, pack up the wife and dog, and travel the US playing every golf course we stumbled upon until the money ran out.

This idea would combine my love for golf with my enjoyment of visiting new towns across this great land of ours.  In my mind, there is no greater way to spend a road trip.

The beauty of the roadtrip golf tour in an RV is multifaceted.  First, my wife hates flying.  And if I'm going to get her onboard with this plan, my best bet is by land. 

Second, I love road trips.  I have since I was a kid.  I love the slowness of road trips, and yet I hate the slowness of the hurry up and wait attitude of air travel.  I love the little things that a road trip brings.  We would stop at every diner, drive-in, and dive we stumble upon for our meals.  On the road we can take detours, shop antique shops, visit popular destinations, see historic and notable sites, and just take it easy.

Third, an RV road trip would make over nights so much easier because finding a pet friendly hotel is a pain in the neck.  An RV also would give my wife and the dog more room to be comfortable while we travel mile after mile.  We would also save a bundle sleeping in our RV, because even though money would not be an issue, I still love a bit of frugality. 

Fourth, and foremost, there are so many great golf courses that I've never (and may never) played because they are out of the way and/or are not within our current budget.  Take for instance The Prairie Club in Valentine, NE.  This beautiful links style course was recently ranked the number one course in Nebraska, and I may never get to play it because Valentine is in the middle of nowhere.   There is basically no reason to go to Valentine, except to visit this course.  And there are hundreds of courses like it.  My mind is racing just thinking about the possibilities.

So, there you have it.  The day after we hit the big payday, we're hitting the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment